Thursday, January 14, 2010

TSPDT update published

So, here are the changes to the top 100:

In:
Jaws
On The Waterfront
Blue Velvet
Duck Soup

Out:
L'age Dor
The Man With The Movie Camera
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Sherlock Jr

Good things about this change: I already have Blue Velvet, and Jaws and Duck Soup will probably be much cheaper to get than the other four. I also know I don't like Buster Keaton, so now only need to watch one of his films.

Bad things about this change: I was looking forward to seeing L'age Dor because I'm a Bunuel fan. I also saw On The Waterfront last year, didn't like it, and sold it.

Good things that should have happened and didn't: Star Wars moved up to 104 and Annie Hall to 105. Ran moved up to 116. All three of those are more deserving of top 100 status than three of the four that got it.

I'm thinking of maybe allowing myself to substitute On The Waterfront for L'age Dor. Or at least, allowing myself to comment on On The Waterfront based on having seen it at the beginning of December.

So, here's a full list of the ones I don't own:
#20 Passion of Joan Of Arc
#32 The Gold Rush
#45 It's A Wonderful Life (Have seen)
#46 The Magnificent Ambersons
#54 Intolerance
#55 Modern Times (Have seen)
#61 Gone With The Wind
#64 Peter Panchali
#65 The Leopard
#66 Wizard of Oz (Have seen)
#67 Greed
#68 The Mirror (Have seen and already commented this year)
#72 To Be Or Not To Be
#74 Nashville (Have seen)
#78 Madame de...
#80 Bringing Up Baby
#81 Pickpocket
#82 Letter from An Unknown Woman
#86 Voyage In Italy
#87 Sansho The Baliff
#88 Playtime
#89 Jaws
#90 A Clockwork Orange
#91 Battle of Algiers
#92 Pierrot le fou
#93 Last Year In Marienbad
#94 On The Waterfront (Have seen)
#95 My Darling Clementine
#98 Rome, Open City
#100 Duck Soup

So, 29 movies I need to seek out.

Now, anything Fleming is probably going to be super-easy to find on television. Ditto It's A Wonderful Life, especially when it gets closer to Christmas. So no need to put any money down on them.

Also, just about anything American except Magnificent Ambersons or Chaplin I can probably easily find under $10 on Amazon. So I can just disregard them and pick them up whenever I feel like it.

Which leaves maybe 15 of them that I will actually need to put down criterion prices on and Magnificent Ambersons which I have no idea how to find. Few enough that I can probably just pick one up every time I get a sizeable paycheck and it isn't an insurance payment week.

If anybody knows how the hell to see Magnificent Ambersons except for region 2 DVDs, please tell me. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll show at the Brattle Theater at some point over the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment